Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Big Reads: Dark Matter


Do I even have words for Dark Matter? I'm not sure. I'm not sure where I first heard about this novel, but it's been on my radar for a while. Then Sophie at Main Street and Maple reviewed it and it shot to the top of my TBR.


I almost picked it up a couple of times, but I had a feeling it was going to be an August pick for Book of the Month Club. I was right, so it was one of the three I selected this month. I'm on quite the roll with them, three for three. It's starting to make me feel like everything will be a success. High standards to live up to, BOTM. Don't let me down.


Back to the book at hand - Dark Matter.


I loved it. Plain and simple. I blew through it in two days (would have been one day, but I had to go to work one of those days, so I had to put it down at some point.) Dark Matter is unlike anything I've ever read before. It explores the multiverse theory which suggests that there are an infinite number of parallel universes created by each individual choice or even observation. Very interesting stuff and Crouch writes about it in a way that makes it easy to understand, while not being dumbed-down to a third-grade level.


The story centers around Jason Dessen, a happily married physics professor. Both he and his wife, an artist, made several career sacrifices when their son was born that they never recovered from. Jason sometimes wonders "what if?" as most of us do after we've faced a crossroads. This book explores the questions of whether or not we can have it all or if the choices we make are the right ones in the end. I don't want to give away too much of the story, so I'll just say it was a fast paced, heart pounding, gasping aloud, un-put-downable read. Pick it up and let me know what you think.

P.S. - You can use code REFER50 with Book of the Month Club to get 50% off a three month membership.

No comments:

Post a Comment