Monday, October 31, 2016

Big Reads: October Recap


Oh October... It felt like such a slump month for reading since I only read two books on my TBR for the month, but overall, I read quite a bit. Let's break it down:
  • A Monster Calls - I did a full review of this one here. This has to be one of the most emotional books I've read all year. And one of the most beautiful. I highly recommend reading in one sitting, if you have the time.
  • The Sea of Tranquility - This was a kindle daily deal a while ago, but I just got around to reading it this month. I enjoyed this one, but not enough to do a full review. It was a little too teen for me, I think. It's a girl meets boy story, only this girl doesn't speak and no one speaks to this boy, yet somehow they are drawn to each other.
  • Modern Romance - A wonderful Instafriend sent this to me on audible. Did you know you can send audiobooks? I didn't either, but it sure was nice of @mogeorgie. I LOVE Aziz Ansari, and he definitely lives up to my expectations of this book. It was surprisingly research based. I was anticipating essays of dating anecdotes, but instead it's more about how people meet each other and date in the tinder era. And how having all these options might be making it harder for people to find love. My favorite part was how Aziz stops to tell you how lazy you are for listening to the audio instead of reading the book yourself. This happens at several points, usually when there is a visual (chart/graph) in the book that you obviously can't see in the audio format.
  • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - I have so enjoyed revisiting the world of Hogwarts these past few months (these are what I'm using my audible subscription for.) I say it every month, but Jim Dale is a fantastic narrator and as soon as I finish one book, I count down the days until my next credit is available. November will be my favorite Harry Potter book - The Order of the Phoenix and I can. not. wait.
  • Lumberjanes - My library recently linked up with a new digital content service, Hoopla. And they have comics! So I decided to check out Lumberjanes since I've seen so much about it on #bookstagram and it looked super cute. Guess what? It totally was. The only thing I didn't like about it is that I read four issues in about 20 minutes. (I wish they lasted longer.) Friendship to the max!
  • The Black Dagger Brotherhood - These are my guiltiest of guilty pleasures, but I love these freaking books so much. They're about a race of warrior vampires and the ladies they fall in love with. They're super steamy and the vampires names are always emotions or adjectives with unnecessary Hs in their name (Wrath, Rhage, Phury, Vishous, etc.) I revisited these this month and read through Vishous's book, I think. They're worth checking out if you're looking for something extra steamy.
  • A Man Called Ove - I reviewed this one here. This is another What Should I Read Next? pick that I hope you read because I loved it so much. Have your tissues on standby when you check it out.
  • The Raven Boys and The Dream Thieves - After seeing so. much. hype. on #bookstagram, I decided to look into The Raven Cycle books. I love Maggie Stiefvater. I loved The Wolves of Mercy Falls book AND The Scorpio Races. It took me a while to get into these (I'm listening to them on audio as well) but once I did, I was IN IT. It helps that it's narrated by Will Patton. I put The Raven Boys on one night last week as I was going to sleep and now I will need Will Patton to read me a bedtime story every night, please and thank you. 
  • Rebecca - I haven't quite finished this one. It was my pick for my Mother Daughter book club this month. I chose it for October because I've heard it was a wee bit spooky. My mom finished it already and not only did she not love it, but she said it's not spooky at all either. I'm enjoying it so far, so we shall see. 
In November, I'm going to try to catch up on my unread Book of the Month Club books. I've got about six waiting for me. What did you read it October?


No comments:

Post a Comment