Sunday, January 1, 2017

Big Reads: The Sun Is Also A Star



The first thing I have to say is, "That cover tho...."

There's just something about a beautiful cover.

The second thing is - I haven't read Everything Everything, which is what put Nicola Yoon on the map, but after reading The Sun Is Also A Star, I'm going to have to change that.

The Sun Is Also A Star is the story of a Daniel and Natasha and their whirlwind love story that spans a single day - the day Natasha is to be deported because she's an undocumented immigrant. Daniel is a poet and believes in love at first sight. Natasha is a scientist and isn't sure she believes in love at all. The entire book spans the course of twelve hours and it is a dang roller coaster.

Their love story is everything YA should be, while also hitting tough issues like illegal immigration, the difficulties that arise with legal immigration, parents who don't understand their kids, kids who don't understand their parents, siblings who hate each other, cultural identification, dreams, regret, and acceptance. While I'm not Korean, or Korean American, or Jamaican, or Jamaican American, I felt like those cultures were represented in a very real and respectful way. I also really loved the back stories given to almost every tertiary character you meet.

I don't read a lot of YA romance because it usually feels super cheesy to me, but this was super well done and had just enough real life to balance out all the feelings.

Bottom line, The Sun Is Also A Star lives up to the hype. It was pretty darn good.

I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment