Monday, August 8, 2016

Little Reads: Poor Little Guy


I'm trying out a new posting schedule so that I don't ending up posting 5 grown up books in one week and no kids books, so how about Little Reads Mondays and Big Reads Wednesdays? I'm not sure my budget could handle more than 2 books a week. I should probably visit the library more.

Anyway, we took a little family trip to the bookstore yesterday. I wanted to take a look at The Little Prince, since I never read it as a kid, and the movie is now on Netflix. I was planning to read the book to Isla, then we could watch the movie for family pizza night/movie night, but after looking at it, I think it's a little over her head. Maybe in a couple of years we'll try that. So we left with Poor Little Guy instead. 


You guys. This is the cutest little book. It's the story of a little puffer fish who gets picked on by a great big octopus. This octopus teases him and knocks off his glasses (Fellow glasses wearers, where you at? That's the absolute worst, is it not?)


The octopus traps the little puffer fish in a maze. He traps him in a cage. He puts him on a sandwich, and then he tries to eat him.


That's when little puffer fish has had enough and shows that big bully octopus what he's really about.

It's a cute little story about not underestimating people based on their appearance and also about the importance of sticking up for yourself. AND it's beautiful. Look at that lettering! And that cute little bespectacled puffer fish. Even the big bully octopus is cute. I'm not sure if this is a must-own, but it's definitely a must-read.

No comments:

Post a Comment