Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Big Reads AND Little Reads: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Illustrated


Let's talk about Harry Potter, shall we? It's kind for all ages, I think. Though, that may be because I started reading it as a young person, but I'm not so sure. I've been listening to the audiobooks and it's just as amazing as an adult.

I'm not going to get much into the story of Harry Potter because we all know it well. If you don't, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?!?! Please stop everything you're doing and read those books. Take a reading vacation from work. Pretend you have mono. Run away for a couple of weeks so you can get some peace and quiet in order to read. I don't know... do something and read these books. 

If you haven't been living under a rock, you probably know that there are illustrated editions out now. I believe the plan is to release a new book once a year until they're all done. This weekend I picked up Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. In case you were wondering if this book is worth the $40 it costs in store, let me help you decide. The answer is yes, btw. Just putting that out there. Also, it's much cheaper on Amazon, if that's your thing. Let's take a peek at this beast of a book. (after the jump)



The cover. Oh the Hogwarts Express. What memories you bring. Such happiness at the beginning of term and sadness at the end. Kind of a metaphor for life - all good things must come to an end.


That sorting hat, though...


I love how the illustrations are of all different scales. There are some that are just in the corner of a page or smack in the middle, but small. And then there are some that are a full two page spread of beauty.


I flipping love the above illustration of Harry and Dumbledore talking at the Mirror of Erised. It's such a sweet picture of a lovely moment. Is this the first one-on-one interaction between Harry and Dumbledore? I don't entirely remember, even though I JUST listened to the audiobooks, but I think it might be.


All of the chapter headings are this lovely.

So, are you still on the fence about whether you need to add this to your collection? It's amazing. Just buy it. If you have to, pinch your pennies and buy this. I can't think of a better way to introduce Isla to Harry Potter when she gets a bit older. And you've got time to buy it. The Sorcerer's Stone only came out last October. The Chamber of Secrets was released a couple of weeks ago. (Can you guess what my next book purchase will be?)

Let me tell you, these British Jims are killing it when it comes to Harry Potter. Jim Dale's narration of the Harry Potter audiobooks is flawless and these illustrations by Jim Kay are so beautiful. And I just found out he did A Monster Calls as well (another one you definitely need to read.)

Are you on the Harry Potter hype train? Have you been on it since you were about Harry's age, like me? Do you hate it? (I'm not sure we can be friends if you hate it, honestly....) Let me know what you think and if you have added or are planning to add the illustrated editions to your home library.

No comments:

Post a Comment