Friday, January 6, 2017

Friday Edit no. 1


It's Friday, it's Friday, it's the end of the week and the last day...

My Atlanta peeps know what I'm talking about. :-)

It's the end of the first week of the year so I thought I would share with you guys some of my intentions for the year (reading and/or otherwise.)

Reading Goals/Intentions:

  • I want to read MORE. I set my Goodreads goal at 50, which is super low... I'm thinking I should change it; I read 62 books last year. But basically, I want to watch less and read more.
  • I want to read 10 classic novels this year. They don't necessarily have to be new to me; one that I'm strongly considering is To Kill A Mockingbird, which I read it high school.
  • I want to read 10 non fiction books. I don't read a ton of nonfiction. Hardly any, in fact. I'm starting off well with Deep Work, which I've heard so many good things about. And I have Hillbilly Elegy queued up on my shelf. I'm lumping all nonfiction in together - memoirs, biographies, self-help/business/productivity, etc.
  • I want to read more of my owned, unread books before buying new books. I have so many unread books in my home and it's giving me anxiety. Especially all those Book of the Month Club books I never got around to reading. 
  • Shakespeare! I'm finally going to read Shakespeare this year. I found an excellent read along challenge on Instagram and I'm so excited about it. I've only ever read Romeo and Juliet in high school, so I'm really looking forward to reading more. We're reading Twelfth Night in January. Search #shakeit2017 or @booksthatconnectus on Instagram for more info.
  • I want to read the books I want to read and not get caught up in the hype surrounding certain books. Sometimes it pays off (The Raven Cycle - all those boys are bae), sometimes it's just not for me (The Mothers - too sad.)
  • I want to tackle some Russian Literature this year. Starting with Anna Karenina. I've wanted to read Anna Karenina for years, but it's always seemed so intimidating. Tell me it's not that intimidating!!

Regular old life intentions:

  • Guys. I need to go to bed earlier. Seriously. I'm late to work almost every day because I can't go to bed at a decent time, so I can't get up on time. It's a real problem. 
  • This will be the year that I do yoga on a regular basis. Hopefully daily. I can't touch my toes and I would really like to change that. Isla loves yoga, so Santa brought her a yoga mat just for her. Since she always kicks me off of mine... I'm thinking this is something fun she and I can do together that has the added benefit of getting me off the couch.
  • Which brings me to - get off the couch more.
  • I bought this ridiculous and amazing lunchbox so I can take my lunch to work and stop eating out so much. Two awesome benefits - it's much healthier plus more money for books. :-)
  • And lastly - put my dang phone down. Seriously. Just put it down. 

Also here are some fun things I found on my favorite blogs this week:

  • This cute idea to help with something most of us struggle with - too much time spent on our devices.
  • 11 books to curl up with this winter, from my fave, Modern Mrs. Darcy. Especially apt for me, since it's supposed to snow tonight! (I live in an area that gets snow MAYBE once a year. And that's a hard maybe.)
  • I love this post about creating an art space for your kids. I've said I need to do this for ever - I should probably make it happen before Isla outgrows it. 
  • Ree Drummond (The Pioneer Woman) is writing a new children's book and it looks so cute! I haven't read her Charlie books, but I think she is so funny and I can't wait for this new book.
  • Book Riot rounded up 20 reading challenges, if that's your thing. Some of them sound super intriguing, but I'm not sure if it's my thing or not. I'm such a mood reader...
  • I made muffins (from a box...) last weekend and tried Janssen's parchment paper trick and they looked so fancy!! It definitely made them taste better. 
  • I really enjoyed this post from Cait at Paper Fury about books she said she wasn't going to read, but read them anyway
  • I also made this White Chicken Chili from Gimme Some Oven and zomg it was delicious.

What about you? What are your ambitions for the year? Or do you choose a word as you focus for the year? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment